Losing ships is an annoying and frustrating event. Here are some tips on how to avoid dying. However, since a recent update, you get a partial refund if your ship is destroyed. You get 20% material value for combat ships, and 40% for mining and trading ships.
- Don't join factions that are at war.
- Don't stay too far from your base, especially if your faction is at war. Enemies or Aliens may attack.
- Don't go to the Mega Base if you're at war, pirates usually attack there.
- On small ships, hide behind ores to wait for an opportunity to escape.
- In the event you do get into a fight, even if you can't see your opponent, you can see what ships they have by looking at the Minimap and from that you can decide whether or not to run.
- Constantly check your Minimap to see where enemy players or Aliens may be.
- If you are an inexperienced or unskilled pilot, use ships with high turning speed for quick escape.
- Try to end your warp near your Starbase or the Mega Base. Avoid stopping at freedom bases or derelict stations, unless for turning.
- Also, try to warp as accurate as possible, the farther you are away from safety, the higher risk you have of losing your ship.
- Try not to spawn in Miners or Freighters when at war, as small pirating ships like the Cobra can pick you off.
- If you can afford it, purchase a VIP server to mine on, it not only saves time, but keeps ships like the Rorqual safe.