Sieging is a strategy commonly used to destroy bases.
It involves the use of heavy siege ships, especially Dreadnoughts.
For support, other ships may also be used, to destroy any incoming enemy ships., or to distract base fire.
Brute force Method
- Players spawn dreadnoughts or other siege ships.
- They go within Heavy Laser range (~5.9k) of the target and fire. When your shields go down, warp back to base to heal. (Some players, mainly Ridgebreaker users, would prefer to remain at the same range, and tank on their hull (mainly because their huge cannons can finish the job while their hull can remain intact). It is not recommended to attempt this tactic while using a ship that has less hull, such as the Cyclops or Archeon.)
Some other players may spawn other ships (fighters, cruisers, etc) to assist the siege ships. If the base is a lower level and is undefended, a fewer amount of ships or firepower could possibly be enough.
- High damage output of dreadnoughts make base destruction quick and easy.
- Requires little skill to master.
- Extremely hard to defend against with the right support ships.
- Base fire can do high damage to dreadnoughts, especially when they are large and easy to hit.
- As most dreadnoughts lack adequate ship-to-ship combat power, and are slow, small ships can wreak havoc on them without taking much damage.
- Dreadnoughts and Battleships are expensive and unavailable to starting players.
- Can spell trouble if enemy ships (especially those that excel at PvP) intervene.
This is an uncommonly used strategy.
When the Hasatan is used, this strategy has the advantage of being very long-ranged (7.5k or more), well out of base fire range, and high damage per shot (~800 to hull). However, it requires manual aiming of the Torpedo.
This is also an uncommonly used strategy.
Like the name suggests, this strategy involves the use of primarily fighters.
Fighters can have certain advantages and disadvantages. For example, a Nixesion has a lot of firepower (for a fighter) and can do quite a bit of damage to a starbase quickly, but can be killed really fast when close enough to the starbase due to its lackluster speed (at least when compared to other fighters) and mediocre shield and hull. The skill and stratagy of the players using them also has an impact.